At Givaudan, water is essential to our production activities and to our entire value chain. Where necessary, this includes using water in areas where water is an increasingly precious natural resource.
Nevertheless, we take our responsibility to preserve water extremely seriously: we are committed to using water efficiently and limiting the environmental impact of our consumption and discharge of it – and we expect suppliers to do the same.
Our water targets support the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals SDG 6 (Clean water and sanitation) and SDG 12 (Responsible consumption and production), and we have endorsed the CEO Water Mandate², a UN Global Compact initiative which brings together a critical mass of business leaders to address global water challenges.
Some recent milestones include:
- Reaching our 2020 water target to achieve 15% reduction per tonne of product (since our baseline year of 2009); this is three years ahead of our schedule.
- Decreasing our water intensity by 28.4%, in 2019
- Being recognised for leadership in water security by CDP, which awarded us the highest ‘A’ score in 2020.
Progress on water 2018-2020
|Water discharge by quality and destination in m³||2018
(restated in 2020)
|Total discharged water||8,863447||8,718,334||7,488576|
- Latest targets progress
- This involves a commitment to action across six key areas: Direct Operations, Supply Chain & Watershed Management, Collective Action, Public Policy, Community Engagement, Transparency
- Assured 2019 full year figures
- New 12-month reporting period: Q4 2019 – Q3 2020