Taking positive action against climate change
Our nature goals are backed by bold ambitions, and our aim to become climate positive before 2050 is one of our boldest.
A climate positive future
To be climate positive means not only to achieve net zero carbon emissions – i.e. to reduce all our greenhouse gas emissions to zero – but to remove more greenhouse gases from the atmosphere than we put in. We will do this by tackling greenhouse gas emissions in our own operations and across our supply chain, taking bold and rigorous steps to tackle this area, with a special focus on product formulations, transportation, energy and reforestation. Watch the video below to find out more.
We have set stringent standards for ourselves and wish to be accountable for our climate action, every step of the way:
- In 2019, we were among the first major companies to join the fight against global warming and signed the UN Pledge Business Ambition for 1.5°C through the Science-Based Targets initiative.
- In September 2020 we signed the Corporate Leaders Group (CLG) Europe CEO letter to the EU on 2030 GHG emissions targets.
- We are part of Business for Nature, a global coalition of businesses that are urging governments to urgently adopt policies to reverse nature loss.
- By 2025, we will have achieved our RE100 commitment to convert our entire electricity supply to fully renewable sources.
- By 2030, we will have reached our Science Based Targets initiative-approved target to reduce operational emissions by 70% and supply chain emissions by 20%.
- In 2022, CDP once again awarded us its highest ‘A’ score for climate action.
Progress on climate action 2021-2022
||Our operations' carbon emissions (scope 1+2) will be cut by 70% before 2030 and will be climate positive before 2040||–31% ¹||–35% ¹|
|Our supply chain emissions (scope 3) will be cut by 20% before 2030 and will be climate positive before 2050||–4% ¹||–1% ¹|
||100% of our entire electricity supply to be converted to fully renewable sources by 2050||84%||90%|
||Givaudan will reach zero operational ² waste directed to landfill for all manufacturing sites by 2030||46% ³|
|Givaudan will decrease its operational waste for disposal intensity by 15% by 2030 (baseline 2020)||+13%|
||Improve water efficiency by 25% on sites facing water stress by 2030||–4% 4||–13% 4|
|We will continuously improve water efficiency on all other sites by a water withdrawal rate reduction||flat||–7%|
|100% of our wastewater discharge will meet or exceed regulary and industry standards by 2030||in progress||in progress|
Compared to baseline year 2015.
Excluding one-time-only waste and waste sent to landfill only when other existing technical alternatives are not allowed due to regulatory requirements.
The status shows the percentage of sites already hitting our target.
On sites facing water stress, baseline year 2020. For municipal and groundwater (m³) per tonne of production.
For more on our latest progress, read our 2022 Sustainability Report and our 2022 Integrated Annual Report.
Discover our projects