Our vision – We continuously drive operational excellence without compromising the environment, the health and well-being of our employees, or the communities in which we operate.
Incidents: through our 'Zero is possible' behavioural-based safety awareness programme, our aim is to foster an even stronger culture in which every employee is responsible for their own safety and for the safety of the people around them.
Carbon: our focus is on reducing carbon emissions as far as possible. We are determined to achieve year-on-year improvements, with an end goal of zero carbon emissions.
Waste: our philosophy encourages the redesign of resource life cycles so that waste generation is minimised, with any unavoidable waste products being reused or recycled. Our end goal is to achieve zero waste.
Water stewardship: achievable through more efficient water usage and also looking at our water and waste water from a management overview perspective.
Regarded as a good neighbour: we believe in actively listening to the needs and concerns of our neighbours in all communities in which we operate, while designing our processes to minimise noise and odour emissions.
Most efficient product packaging and distribution: we are working with our purchasing and logistics departments to ensure that our packaging and distribution is becoming as efficient as possible.
- Improve eco-efficiency of factory manufacturing sites with a focus on greenhouse gas emissions, waste and water and reduce our overall footprint against a 2009 baseline focusing on eco-efficiency for energy, carbon emissions, incinerated and land-filled waste and municipal and groundwater.
- Sustainable logistics offers opportunities to improve the efficiency through reduced fuel usage and therefore lower transport costs.
Our KPIs and progress in 2015
Per tonne of product against 2009 baseline
Energy consumption: 20% reduction, per tonne of product by 2020
- 15.4% reduction in energy consumption
Water use: 15% reduction, per tonne of product, by 2020 (for municipal and groundwater)
- 10.4% reduction in municipal and groundwater use
Direct and indirect CO2 emissions: 25% reduction, per tonne of product, by 2020 (indirect relates to purchased energy and not energy used by others e.g. our raw materials suppliers)
- 30.9% reduction in direct and indirect CO2 emissions
Total weight of incinerated and land-filled waste by type and disposal: 15% reduction, per tonne of product, by 2020
- Our total weight of incinerated and land-filled waste decreased by 42.8%
Given that we have achieved half of our 2020 eco-efficiency targets by the end of 2015, we saw the opportunity to be more ambitious.
Our revised 2020 eco-efficiency targets are as follows:
- Stabilise our carbon footprint by reducing our absolute CO2 emissions by at least 4% year on year in order to compensate for our growing production volumes
- Reduce our waste production and energy consumption per tonne of product by 4% year on year
- Reduce our water usage by 15% per tonne of product between 2010 and 2020*
* This target remains unchanged compared to the original 2020 eco-efficiency target for water announced in 2010.